I recently starting posting more of my writing on a website called Medium, whose tagline is: “a better place to read and write things that matter.” On Medium, writers publish their stories in a variety of overarching “collections” and I’ve decided to create my own, a column entitled Sad, But Funny.
Sad, But Funny is a place for writers to share stories which might not be inspiring, glamorous, or noteworthy, but are hilariously relatable in their witty recounting of the mundane. The topics may range greatly in scope (from awkward interactions with coworkers or family members, to frustrating experiences at the grocery store or gym, to managing our worst habits and most sarcastic thoughts), but the goal is always to get the reader to silently admit that he/she has “definitely been there,” and to earn a laugh, or a smile.
It’s the kind of humor I personally enjoy reading, and often find myself writing (or at least, trying to write). I’ve already posted a few stories in the collection, but now I’d like to invite you to contribute too!
If you want your sad-but-funny story included in the collection, please send an email to wesjanisen[at]gmail.com and I’ll make sure you get an invite. Please note: Medium connects to your Twitter account to create your writer profile, so if you don’t already have a Twitter page, go make one!
And while you’re brainstorming for your own articles, check out some of the posts below. They’re by different writers from all over the internet, but they’re some of my favorite reads, and they would jive well in the Sad, But Funny collection:
- Thoughts Whilst Working At Starbucks | VarsityDoubles
- My Failure to Attain Inner Peace During Hot Yoga | Katya Karaz
- Bring Your Hangover To Work Day | Stephanie Georgopulos
- Don’t Be The Worst: The Valentine’s Day Cure | Julieanne Smolinski
- In Which I Fix My Girlfriend’s Grandparent’s WiFi and Am Hailed As Conquering Hero | Mike Lacher
- What Is Wrong With Morning People? | Chelsea Fagan
- Surviving Whole Foods | Kelly MacLean
- What I’d Rather Do Than Lose Five Pounds | The Frenemy
- Real Men Bake | Josh Gondelman
- The Pony Problem | Sloane Crosley
Happy reading & writing, and I hope to hear from you soon!